Disc jockey or DJ1 (plural -s 1 ), DJ (plural DJs 2 ), disc riders or plattvändare is a person who selects and plays music CDs at a nightspot. A disc jockey can also be a musician that by mixing different styles of music to create a rhythmic dancing custom music .
A disc jockeys task, especially in dance music, to convey a stream of music without transitions between songs are too explicit. The most elementary is not to have any pauses between the tracks, but the DJ usually also “beat mix” by changing the tempo (and therefore also the tone) of the songs so that they keep the same tempo, or beats per minute .
When a disc jockey “pace mixes”, synchronizes the DJ on the club played the music, the song he intends to play next; this was accomplished by the DJ in their headphones to listen and adjust the next song. This technology is made possible by the so-called “mixer “, to which multiple audio sources (eg computer, vinyl and / or CD players) connected. Taktmixing or “beatmatching” works in the following way, the DJ listens to the next song, and adjust the bass beaten so that they fit with the song being played on the dance floor, the DJ good enough not hear the crowd to the DJ switches let because bass Law strikes same rate. On the mixer regulates DJ ago, with various knobs and controls, parameters such as volume, EQ and panning (sometimes also efficacy parameters such as echo, “delay”, “flanger “, “filter”, and input and playback options available) to – in a happy creative way – interlacing piece by piece.
There are several different styles of disc jockeys; those as mixes, those scratches and so on. A disc jockey scratching which could also be called turntablist .3
Disc jockey with other musicians
Sometimes appears a disc jockey and a musician, such as a saxophone or a congaspelare, together. Then accompanies the saxophonist and improvise to the music the DJ plays. This group of prominent usually called sound systems .
The most common sets for a disc jockey can be:
- 2 (or more) individual so-called Table Top CD player and a mixer.
- 2 (or more) vinyl player and a mixer.
- Computer with a soundcard, MIDI controls and mixer.
A disc jockey can also play with time-coded vinyl records connected to the PC via a sound card. To be a DJ is required, however, always a blender or a software controller
Different types of disc jockeys
One can distinguish between disc jockeys in various ways, for example:
- Hobby DJs: (also called bedroom-DJs ) has a (usually small) plant at home that he or she “play” with or use on their own celebrations.
- Rented DJs: often plays at weddings, company parties, student records, birthdays, sporting events and which brings its own or leased equipment. Most disc jockeys who play in bars and clubs is to some extent a kind of hired disc jockeys, but usually have – in addition to CDs and headphones – not with his own equipment. It has recently become increasingly common for the use of one or more laptops come to replace music in the conventional medium (for example vinyl record or CD ).
- Bar DJs: playing in bars and pubs, often without dancing.
- Club-DJs: playing in nightclubs, and holds usually one or more so-called residencies (see: eng. Residency ) – that is a sort of “permanent employment” with recurring appearances.
- Radio DJs: transmits radio either through FM / AM band or on a nätradiostation.
- Producing DJs: see music producer .