A digital backlot (also known as a virtual backlot ) is a motion picture set that is neither a genuine location nor a constructed studio; The shooting takes place entirely on a stage with a blank background (often a greenscreen ). Digital backlot is more often used in some genre of movies, like sci-fi and comics, in order to achieve what would otherwise be too expensive or outright impossible to build a real set.
Among the first films to introduce the technique was Mini Moni the Movie by Shinji Higuchi in 2002, predated by Rest In Peace by Stolpskott Film (2000).  Others include:
- Rest in Peace ( Sweden , 2000 ) – Shot entirely with green-screen. Some sections fully CGI.
- Casshern ( Japan , 2004 ) – Shot on celluloid. A few practical set pieces used.
- Able Edwards ( United States , 2004) – Shot digitally on Canon XL1 cameras.
- Immortal ( France , 2004) – Shot on celluloid. Also showed CGI characters interacting with live actors.
- Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow ( United States , 2004) – Shot digitally on Sony CineAlta cameras.
- Sin City ( United States , 2005 ) – Shot digitally on CineAlta cameras. Three practical sets used.
- MirrorMask ( United States / United Kingdom , 2005) – Shot on celluloid. 80% of film uses digital backlot. Some practical set pieces used.
- The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari ( United States , 2005) – Shot digitally.
- 300 ( United States , 2007 ) – Shot on celluloid. Two practical sets were used.
- Speed Racer ( United States , 2008 ) – Directed by the Wachowskis . Three practical sets used.
- The Spirit ( United States , 2008) – Director Frank Miller shot the movie with the same techniques he and Robert Rodriguez used on Sin City .
- Avatar ( United States , 2009 ) – Directed by James Cameron . Two practical sets used.
- Goemon ( Japan , 2009) – The second film from Casshern Helmer, Kazuaki Kiriya .
- Alice in Wonderland ( United States , 2010 ) – Directed by Tim Burton . Practical sets used.
- Sin City: A Lady to Kill For ( United States 2014) – Co-directed by Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller. Sequel to Sin City .
- Tribes of October 
- Computer-generated imagery
- Digital cinema
- Digital cinematography
- Live-action / animated movie
- Jump up^ “Rest in Peace” . Video.google.com . Retrieved 2011-04-13 .
- Jump up^ Ollie Chong (2012-06-21). “Stephen Moyer in New Movie – Tribes of October” . TrueBloodNet.com . Retrieved 2012-06-12 .